was thought too far gone to waste repairs on it."
Glenochel, a poem descriptive of remarkable objects in Kinross
and Clackmannan shires published by J. Kennedy.
"Tambouring and spinning at the spinning wheel" gave employment
to a great many of the female population at this period.
1811. The old bridge of three arches over the South Queich at the
South end of the town built in 1687 by Sir William Bruce of Kinross
House, was in a ruinous state, was condemned, ordered to be removed,
and a new bridge built.
Population of the parish of Kinross, 2214 souls; of the town,
about 1550; of the parish of Portmoak, 1273; of the parish of Cleish,
648; and of the parish of Orwell, 2172 souls; population of the town
of Milnathort, 1199; of the county of Kinross, 7245.
Rev. Dr Buchannan, minister of Kinross, commenced a process at
law for the augmentation of his stipendnot settled until the year
The South Queich Bridge, when nearly finished, fell. Another
Bridge ordered to be built.
Much curiosity and speculation excited in Kinross as elsewhere,
on the appearance and long continuance in sight of "the long-tailed
John Young, Esq. of Cleish, this year in connection with two
smaller heritors on the Cleish side, and Lord Keith, acting for his
daughter, Miss Mercer of Aldie, on the Fossoway side agreed to widen
and deepen the Gairney water at Pow of Aldie. This part
of the cut is 2875 yards in length, 22 feet wide at top, 6 feet at
bottom and 6 feet deep, It has since 1811 been frequently cleaned and
deepened. (See date 1820).
1812. The Fife and Kinross-shire Bible Society instituted.
Parish Church manse improved and repaired.
New South Queich Bridge
South Queich Bridgeof one archbuilt by Mr Pearson"a
substantial structure which will be able to resist flood and wind for
hundreds of years."
An Obelisk about eight feet in height erected over the grave of
Michael Bruce, bearing as an inscription merely the words Michael
Bruce; born, March 27th 1746. Died 6th July 1767.
Copy of the inscription afterwards cut on the obelisk:-
"To the memory of Michael Bruce who was born at Kinnesswood in
1746, and died while a student in connection with the Secession
Church, in the 21st year of his age.
Meek and gentle in spirit, sincere and unpretending in his
christian deportment, refined in intellect, and elevated in
character, he was greatly beloved by his friends, and won the esteem
of all; while his genius, whose fire neither poverty nor sickness
could quench, produced those odes unrivalled for simplicity and
pathos which have shed an undying lustre on his name.
Early, bright, transient, chaste as morning
He sparkled, and exhaled, and went to
There are many places on the hill-side near Kinnesswood still
pointed out where the amiable poet loved to rest and muse. It would
seem that he had a partiality for elevated spots, no doubt to obtain
extended views of "Leven's banks, hill, dale, and bloom
ing fields." He delighted
"To sit on rocks and muse o'er flood and
A tourist, after visiting the poet's last resting place, shortly
after the erection of his monument, has the following note inserted
in his book "Farewell gentle Bruce, thou art another of the many
instances on record that "the good die too soon while t
he wicked live and burn to the socket,"
"Full many a flower is born to blush unseen,
And waste its sweetness in the desert air."
The Kinross company of Local Militia presented a handsome Silver
Snuff Box to Mr Skelton, their captaincost £1 11s 6d; and another to
Mr Thompson, their Lieutenantcost £1 8s.
"Many of the Salamanca soldiers, in a sorrowful state, on foot
and in carts, pass through Kinross on their way to Perth depot."
1813. "The weaving and shoemaking trades in Kinross and
Milnathort very bad. Provisions high. Subscriptions raised to aid the
It appears there "existed considerable speculation and bad
feeling" at this period regarding "the Glebe Case."
1814. Rejoicings in Kinross, as elsewhere, on the receipt of the
news of the fall of Paris"white cocades, shaking of hands, and
shouting, was the order of the day."
Severe winterlong continuance of frost; "the loch frozened, ice
on it very thick. All the burns ice-bound, and the roads as hard as
Bad trade; many of the weavers and cutlers out of work.
Typhus fever prevailed to a great extent in Kinross in the end
of this yearmany deaths.
1815. The "Kinross-shire Bank for Savings" instituted15th May.
(See date 1833).
Annual value of real property in Kinross County£25,805.
The Steeple Bell re-founded; arrived in Kinross, 3d Aprilcost
The mill of Kinross builtsouth end of town.
About twenty of the local Militia were ordered to Clackmannan to
stand guard over a man who had been sentenced to be whipped at the
cross there, tied on the back of a cart. The majority of the militia
Battle of Waterloo rejoicings, as elsewhere, "every one elated
at the victory and the prospects of a lasting peace." "Waterloo
Bonnets from Crieff in great request."
1816. "On 18th March, happened the greatest flood ever heard of
or seen in Kinross; all the burns were brimfull; the South Queich
water formed into a deep pool at the side of Queich Bridge from eight
to ten feet deep. It took 400 loads of stones to fill i
On 13th August a smart shock of earthquake was felt throughout
Kinross at 11 o'clock at night." Plates rattled on shelves; chairs
moved about and were thrown over; beds shook, &c.
"Wet and late harvest." During harvest the snow on four
different occasions was from five to six inches deep.
The Upper Arch of Rumbling Bridge built, in order to "raise the
road-way, and give it an easier gradient." (See date 1713.)
Note.From the Devon-Water to the road-way on the old bridge(lower
arch) is 86 feet. The span of the arch is 22 feet and breadth 11
feet. The height of the new arch built above the old one this year is
34 feet. In all, from the parapet of the modern brid
ge to the Devon below is 120 feet.
1817. Mr Smith's stable, at the head of the town burnt to the
Trade of every description very bad.A subscription was
made£100 collected to buy meal for 60 or 70 families who were very
badly off. Some got 2 pecks, some 11/2 and some 1 peck per week for a
Burleigh Castle near Milnathort, had one of its towers, and part
of a a wall blown down.
Andrew Nicol, who for the last thirty years of his life had been
celebrated "as an eccentric man, a man of renown," died this year.
Chambers in his "Traditions of Edinburgh" has the following notice of
him. "Andrew Nicol, who was at law thirty years abou
t a midden-stead.Anglice, the situation of a dunghill. This person
was a native of Kinross, a sensible-looking country-man, with a large
flat blue bonnet, in which guise Kay has a very good portrait of him,
displaying with chuckling pride a plan of his p
recious midden-stead. He used to frequent the register house as well
as the courts of law, and was encouraged in his foolish pursuits by
the roguish clerks of that establishment, by whom he was denominated
"Muck Andrew," in allusion to the object of his l
itigation. This wretched being, after losing property and credit, and
his own senses, in following a valueless phantom, died at last (1817)
in Cupar Jail, where he was placed by one of his legal creditors."
1818. According to a MS.statistical note the town of Kinross
contained 2186 souls, and that there were 58 births 51 deaths.
Weaving trade bad; many idle; bleak harvest-time; "hairst
produce" below the average.
A troop of Yeomanry raised in the end of this year.
1819. The Kinross "Brotherly Society" instituted 4th January.
William Monro, weaver from Glasgow, drowned while bathing in the
west end of Lochleven.
1820. Old King's birthday. The P.S. of a letter dated Kinross,
June 11th refers to the King's birthday as held in Kinross, when
"George the third was King"which is much about as it was held in
other places. It says:"The glorious 4th of June has this yea
r passed by for the first time these 60 years, unnoticed; like
everything else it has had its day, but it has now came to an end,
and is gone for ever. What a day of rejoicing this good old fourth of
June was to our fathers and to ourselves; it did one go
od to see the young following in the footsteps of their fathers,
running about collecting coals for Baa'l-fires; gathering the yellow
broom and all manner of flowers for the decoration of conspicuous
places; firing of pop-cannons, of old keys, pe-a-oys, s
quibs, and sky-rockets. Oh! the glorious 4th of June, thou art now a
thing of the past." This Kinrossean appears to have had a minute and
a vivid recollection of the "good old day" and to have been an ardent
admirer of the "guid auld times."
In the month of June this year, about 400 English and Scotch
silver coins were found below the soil on the lands of Coldon, (about
two miles S.S.E. of Kinross.) When found they were covered with a
black coating, much darker than the earth in which it lay
. Those of England were what are known as silver pennies, of the
reigns of Edwards 1st and 2nd, round the circumference of these were
the names of the mints at which they were struck, viz;London,
Canterbury, York, Durham, Lincoln, and Dublin; and on the
reverse side the name of the minter, Robert de Hadeleir. The Scotch
coins were those of Alexander 3d and John Baliol, around the
circumference of these were "Alexander Dei Gra." and "Johnnes Dei
Gra," and on their reverses "Rex Scotorum," and four stars.
These coins belong to the period 1260-1327. (See date 1301.)
Mr Young of Cleish, and Mr Colville of Mawmill, deepened the
water of Gairney which divides their estates. "At one part of the
cutting a vein of black gravel was foundthe water from which
produced inflammation and swelling in the hands and feet of the l
abourers, so that they had to suspend work. The gravel was afterwards
examined and found to contain iron. This part of the cut is 1841
yards in length; 18 feet broad at top, 6 feet at bottom; and 6 feet
The cutlery trade of Kinross became extinct, after having
continued in the town since circa 1696. This trade seems to have
reached its culminating point in 1765. (See date 1827.)
1821. Population of the county of Kinross, 7762; of the town and
parish, 2563; of the parish of Cleish, 673; of the parish of Orwell,
1477; of the parish of Portmoak, 1354.
The deepening of the Gairney water completed towards the end of
Mr John Taylor, parish schoolmaster of Kinross, died 18th Nov.
after a schola-regum of 49 years.
1822. On trenching a piece of ground near "the Gallows-knowe,"
Lathro, twelve graves were found. No doubt the bones dug up were of
those who had been by feudal or regalety law"hangit to deith" on
Lathro "kindly gallows."
A large pike landed from the lochthe largest ever fished up
here. It weighed 411/2 1bs.
Gairney Bridge building this year; when nearly finished it fell;
eight of the workmen were badly hurt; £70 subscribed for their
relief; a new bridge ordered to be built.
1823. Great fall of snowcontinued snowing for 4 daysat the end
of the 4th day the average depth of snow in Kinross was 6 feet, in
drifted places 18 feet. The roads were impassible for 8 days. There
were 8 mailguards "storm-staide" in Kinross at same tim
e. About 500 persons were employed for a week in "casting the snow
off the roads"during which time "what was cut and cast off the one
day was on the next filled with snow and drift."Feb., 1-5th.
A farm servant belonging to Balgedie was found stiff dead on the
icenorth side of the Loch. He had lost his way south of Orwell
Cleish road completely blocked up with snow for 22 dayscleared
for traffic on Feb. 27th.
Gairney new bridge rebuilt "in a more substantial manner." (See
A new Parish School and School-house built in Kinross.
Paper Mill, Crook of Devon, commenced operations. The building
was previously a lint mill.
1824. A house of 4 stories, west end of Kinross, burnt to the
ground; £70 subscribed for the relief of the families "burnt out."
"Kinross Meal Society" established, 8th Dec.; Shares, 2s 5d
1825. The "Process at Law," at the instance of the Rev. Dr
Buchannan, minister of Kinross, settled this year after 14 years
litigation.(See 1811.) Result"He established his claim to grass for
a horse and two cows, and five acres of ground worth £40 per
annum added to his glebe."
Kinross County Hall, &c., founded and commenced building.
A fire broke out in the bark-kiln of Mr Robert Blackwood,
tannerdamage done to the extent of £100.
"There were 1 mail and 4 stagecoaches which ran through
Kinross19th Oct.this year."
1826. Kinross County and Public Jail built partly in 1825 and
1826, was finished this year at a cost of £2000, of which sum
Government paid £750. The remainder was raised by a voluntary
assessment from the heritors of the county according to the old value
d rental. The building has 2 apartments for the Sheriff-Clerk, 1
Record-room and safe, 1 Court-room, 1 Witness-room, 3 Debtor's rooms,
2 cells, and a guard-room. The County Hall has a handsome front
looking west, and is adorned with a clock.
A very warm summer. No rain for 63 days. The farmers had for
some time to drive water 5 and 6 miles for their cattle. The grass
was burnt up; hay sold at 1s 6d per stone; Rain came on 20th July;
the harvest had been begun; many hundreds of acres were rea
ped by plucking, the corn being only about six inches above the
ground, and therefore could not be sheared; wheat and potatoes were
good crops. Meal could hardly be got for want of water to drive the
1827. Michael White, last of the race of "Kinross cutlers;" died
in Dunfermline this year.
Great fall of Snowcontinued for 2 days; 200 men employed at
"castin the roads." Mr James Foote, manufacturer, Kinross, not making
his appearance from Dunfermline, where he had gone on business, 50
men went in search of him over Cleish Hills, where he wa
s found frozen to death. (7th, 8th, 9th March.) A second greater fall
of snowend of April. 300 men soon cleared the road.
1828. Auchmuir brig, east end of Lochleven, rebuilt.On the old
bridge there was a stone with the following on it:
"Ken ye this bridge wi' a' its larges;
Was built at Balbedies' proper charges;
Let no man o' Balbedie's fa' boast,
Quhile this brig serves him at Balbedies cost."
The "Kinross Wheaten Bread Society" establishedentry money 7s
6d per share.
The "drainage of Lochleven commenced early this year, employing
a great number of hands."
Map of the Counties of Fife and Kinross published by Messrs
Sharp, Greenwood, and Fowlerof great accuracy. (p 72)
1829. "In the mouth of April this year, some labourers employed
by John W. Williamson. Esq., banker, Kinross, while digging on his
grounds at West Green, found, about two feet below the surface
imbedded in what appeared to be travelled earth, an ancient s
eal of pure old gold, of a circular shape, eight tenths of an inch in
diameter, and two tenths of an inch thick. It has two small wings
also of gold, joined to the centre by a neat hinge, which folds flat
on the upper side of the seal, and when raised ser
ves as a handle. This curious piece of workmanship weighs 493 grains,
(1oz. 13 grains). It has engraved on it the royal arms of Scotland,
impaled on the dexter side, with those of England on the sinister.
This seal, shortly after it was found, was shown t
o Sir Walter Scott and other antiquaries, and they were of opinion
that this "find," was the personal seal of James IV. Latterly, some
eminent antiquaries have come to the conclusion that it is the seal
of Joan, queen of JamesI, (A.D. 1423ð1436) and to ha
ve been lost at Kinross during "a royal progress" between Falkland
and Stirling, or Perth and Dunfermline. The seal is still in the
possession of Mr Williamson. (1872).
"A heckler from Leslie drowned in the north side of Lochleven,
while bathing on Sunday 1st June."*
The fishermen of Lochleven "found the corpse of Arthur Conley, a
pedlar, in their nets," at the west-end of Lochleven.
The Green-Inn built. John Fraser, a barrow man, killed while
taking down the old walls.
1830. The new house and bank founded in 1829 by John Williamson,
Esq., Kinross, finished, and bank opened.*
The ruin of St Serf's priory, St Serf's Isle, converted into "a
house for sheltering cattle, to which were added a chimney-stalk and
fireplace." An antiquary, referring to this modern innovation, says -
"What desecration! Enough to make the very stones c
"To what vile uses are we come at last."
At same time while clearing away the rubbish inside the old
walls the ancient baptismal font, in a mutilated state was
discovered; as also, the upper stone of quern or hand-mill,having a
small round hole in the centre, and one for the handle a little way
down. Rev. Dr Gordon, Glasgow, made a very fine drawing of these
ruins this year, and had an engraving made from it for his
View of "Lokhleven Castle from Kinross," very fine viewðengraved
by Lacey, and published by Jones, London, Oct 16.
The operations for lowering the water of Lochleven were
completed in the month of December this year. Previous to the
drainage, the area of the surface of the Loch extended to 4638
imperial acres; the drainage operations reduced it to 3543 acres ð
aining from the Loch 1095 acres. The circuit of the Loch has thus
been reduced from 141/2 miles to 12 miles, and in depth from 18 to 14
feet. This drainage operation has, it is understood, not come up to
the expectations of its promoters.
Two copper coins, much mutilated, found on St Serf's Isle. Now
in the possession of David Marshall, tacksman of the Lochleven
1831. Population of the parish of Kinross, 2927; of the town
about 2200ðthus leaving 727 for the rest of the parish; of Portmoak,
1495; of Cleish, 681; of the Parish of Orwell,1772; and of the County
of Kinross, 9072.
1832. Kinross New Parish Church built and opened for divine
service 11th March, Cost £1537 11s 6d. Architect, Mr George Angus.
Cleish Church burnt 11th March. This was the church that was
built in 1775. The stove pipe became over-heated and set fire to the
wall plates. It was rebuilt immediately thereafter.
Cholera "reached Kinross and district; and a great many of all
ages died of the fell malady".
An old lead-bullet, weighing 81/2 ozs. was found near Lochleven
Castleð the only lead-bullet ever found in this vicinity.
Kinross-shire Agricultural Society Show held at Kinross, Aug.
6th, but owing to the backward state of the haymarket there were but
few spectators with a meagre show of stock.
1833. Savings Bank wound up and dissolved , after an existence of
about 18 years - January 1.
"Lochleven fishings, which had for some time before this year
been let at £230 per annum was reduced to £204, in consequence of an
estimated deterioration by "the improvements at the outlets of the
1834. There were 394 weavers in Kinross:- working for the
Dunfermline and Glasgow manufacturers.
A New School erected at Scotlandwell- the one built in 1777
having become too small.
The horns of a stagg, of "extraordinary size, found in the
parish of Portmoak in a land water-run."
In Chamber's "Gazetteer of Scotland," published this year, there
was an abbreviated though good account of Kinross and county; and an
elaborate description of Lochleven.
There were taken from Nivingstone Quarry this year 14,000 feet
of stone for hewing at 3d a foot.
Robert Low left the church to walk on ice, to the Castle. In his
progress the ice gave way, he fell into water 15 feet deep, and was
1835."John More got a heavy fall on the ice on the loch, which caused
his death the same day". ð 13th January.
Kinross Gas Company formed, 23d March, called the Kinross and
Milnathort Gas Company. Number of shares, 500, held by 134 persons £5
Charles Adam, Esq. of Blairadam, received the honour of
knighthood from King William IV.
Several trees, reported traditionally to be some centuries old,
standing between Lethangie and Lochleven, were this year blown down
during a violent gale of wind.
1836. Gas works erected between Kinross and Milnathort, gas
introduced into both towns.
There were this year 25 proprietors of land in Kinross-shire of
the value of £50 per annum.
Total and annular Eclipse of the sun on Sunday afternoon at 3
o'clock; churches closed: great interest excited at the singular and
1837. Weights and Measures altered from "old use and wont" to the
Imperial, legal notice of which arrived in Kinross and immediately
Four young men went into a boat on the loch for a sail, the wind
became high and strong, and as none of them were able to manage the
boat, it capsized to the north of the castle and they were all
drowned. After 8 days dragging with hooks the bodies were
Kinross New Provident Institution establishedðMay.
A small volume published, entitledð "Lochleven, and other
poems," by Michael Bruce, with a life of the author from original
sources, by the Rev. William Mackelvie, Balgedie, Kinross-shire.
Published by M. Paterson, Edin.
1838. Old spear heads and part of a shield found in a cut for
draining the LochðPortmoak parish.
Alex. Clephane, Esq., Sheriff of Fife Shire, died at Kirkness
House, August 11, in his 60th year.
Valued rent of the parish Kinross, £9175 sterling.
"A fire broke out in the Bark Mill of Robert Blackwood, tanner;
it was burnt to the ground. ð 14th Oct.
A statistical account shows that there were 22 thrashing mills
in the parish this year.
1839. The Right Honourable William Adam, Lord Chief Commissioner
of the Jury Court, and Lord Lieutenant of Kinross-shire, died 7th
Feb, aged 88.
Milnathort Female Charity Society distributed during the past
winter 40 cartloads of coal amongst the poor, and also some clothing.
Some old men also were sharers of the bounty.
Educational Soiree held on 6th Feb. in Rev. Mr Leslie's
meeting-house, Milnathort, when upwards of 600 persons attended. The
Rev. Dr Hay of Kinross attended the meeting, and spoke of the
absolute necessity of and for a national system of education, havin
g religion as the substratum. The meeting was afterwards addressed by
Messrs Shaw, Guthrie, Robertson, Scott, and Graham, divinity
A groat (silver) of David 2d (temp 1329-1371), and a Hardhead
or Lion of Queen Mary (1542-1568) found on the Castle Island now in
the possession of David Marshall, tacksman of the Lochleven fishings.
The ministers of the four parishes of the county of Kinross
wrote notices of their respective parishes in April this year, for
"The New Statistical Accounts of Scotland." The Parish of Kinrossð27
pages by Rev. Dr G. Buchannan; of the parish of Portmoakðe
ight pages by Rev. Dr Laird; the parish of Cleishð14 pages by Rev. Mr
Duncan; and parish of Orwellð18 pages, 8 mo., by Rev. Mr Wemyss.
Tullibole, Cleish, and Lochrane grass parks were let this year
at an average of £2 16s an acre.
Crook of Devon village library established by Alexander
Wallace,of the Store there.
The Kinross "Tartan Manufactory" established.
The number of woollen weavers in Kinross and Milnathort, of all
ages, was in the spring of this year estimated at 350.
The Lochleven fishings let on a 6 years lease, at £204 a year.
At the examination of schools in Cleish parish, the number
attending the Parish School was found to be 65; that in Maryburgh,
81; in Gairney bridge, 30. There were 28 scholars at this latter
school in 1765.
"Musical Festival" held on an extensive scale in the
picture-gallery in Kinross House, in aid of the funds of the Kinross
"Steeple Committee," and was attended by upwards of 700 persons,
Messrs Air, Shields, and Halliday, of the Dunfermline Harmonist Soc
iety, were engaged;and Messrs Tweedie and Henderson and an amateur,
gave gratuitous assistance. The Kinross Instrumental Band was also
present. About £30 collected.
Kinross Tee-total Society established in January this year;
members about 300.
Number of inhabited houses and subdivided in Kinross this year,
566; of these 26 unlet, and 5 in ruins.
ShopbreakingðMr W. Shaw's shop broken into and goods to a
considerable amount stolenðthe thieves never discovered.
West Tillyochie Loom Mill taken in lease by one of the Tartan
Manufacturing Companies for the carding and spinning of wool on an
1840. Unappropriated teinds in the parish of Kinross to the
amount of £115 16s 9d.
Constituency of Kinross-shire 498.
Annual value of real property in Kinross parish estimated at
1841. Population of the county of Kinross, 8763.
Kinross New Town Hall built on the site of the Old Parish
1842. The Queen, Prince Albert, and suite, pass through the
county on their way to BalmoralðSep. 16th. Splendid day ;ð according
to a notice of the period, "There were at least 10,000 spectators on
the line of road between the south of Kinross and the nor
th of Milnathort." The Queen, in her charming little work, "Leaves
from the Journal of our Life in the Highlands," notices her drive
through Kinross-shire thus :ð
"Tuesday, September 6. ð At a quarter past one we entered
Kinross-shire. Soon after, the country grew prettier, and the hills
appeared again, partly wooded. We passed Lochleven, and saw the
Castle on the Lake, from which poor Queen Mary escaped.There the
country is rather flat, and the hills are only on the side. We
changed horses next at Kinross. Soon after this, the mountains, which
are rather barren, began to appear. There we passed the valley of
Glenfarg; the hills are very high on each side, and com
pletely wooded down to the bottom of the valley, where a small stream
runs on one side of the roadðit is really lovely."
"A boy and stranger man drowned in Lochleven."
Rev. Dr Hay, Secession Church, Kinross ðJubilee held 8th August.
1843 "Jan 7.1.ðPrice of provisions &c., as follows:ð Beef 3d to 6d
per pound; Mutton. 3d to 4d; pork, 31/2; Lochleven trout, 1s to 1s 6d
per lb; Butter, 8d; Eggs, 10d per dozen; fine quartern loaf, 6d;
small haddocks, from 3d to 4d per dozen."
"On the first Sunday of 1843 the three clergymen in
Kinross,viz, Rev. Mr Tannoch, Rev. Dr Hay, and Rev. Mr Leishmanby a
singular coincidence discoursed from the same chapter, viz., Exodus,
10th chapter. Mr Tannoch lectured from the whole chapter, while
Dr Hay and Mr Leishman chose for their text the second verse.
"On the first Sunday of this year Fossoway Manse was broken into
during divine service, and along with articles stolen was a deposit
receipt for £280 on the Bank of Scotland, in favour of the Rev. Mr
Brydie (the minister) in behoof of the poor of the par
ish. The culprit, named Brown, was shortly afterwards apprehended in
Edinburgh, with the deposit receipt in his possession.He was brought
to Kinross Jail, from which he escaped by making an opening in the
ceiling of his cell to the belfry, from whence he
broke through the ceiling of the Court Room, making his exit by one
of the Court Room windows. He was re-captured the same day in a house
"A byre and a barn at Black Knowes, Gairney Bridge, destroyed by
fireðcaused by sparks from a neighbouring smithy.
"The curling Pond at the Myre, constructed in January this year.
"Free Church anticipated. A church meeting held in Kinross Town
Hall, when between 300 and 400 persons were present, for the purpose
of hearing addresses by a deputation from the Convocation at
Edinburgh. On the platform were the Revs. Messrs Milne, Pert
h; Brydie, Fossoway; Thomson, Muckart; Duncan, Cleish. D. M. Magill
Crichton, Esq. of Rankeillor;J. Henderson, Esq., of Turfhills;Joseph
Hardie, Esq., Dr Annan, &c.,Kinross. Feb. 23rd.
"Mr Mainzer, the celebrated teacher of, and lecturer on Music ð
Singing for the Million, visited Kinross and held a meeting in the
Established Church. There was a very large assembly from all parts of
the County. March 13.
"Sir William Jardine and Mr James Williamson, the celebrated
naturalists, visited Kinross, and enjoyed two days fishing on the
Loch ð fishing with a view to the more completed elucidation of the
natural history of Lochleven trout. They attempted to secu
re the missing and delicate charr or gelly trough, but were
"The tolls on the Great North Road between Freartown and
Burntisland let for £3995 for 1843-44 April 19th.
"Free Church open air meeting. A meeting, estimated at about
1600 persons, was held in a field at Turfhills, near Kinross, at
which the Rev. Dr Candlish, Dr Laird, of Portmoak; and Rev. Mr
Alexander, of Kirkcaldy; and the Rev. Mr Wood, of Westruther, del
ivered addresses and formed an Association ,in the event of a
disruption in the Church of Scotland taking place.Mr Laird, banker,
acted as Secretary, and intimated that donations and weekly
subscriptions of about £100 had already been subscribed. May 3d.
On Sabbath, 28th May, the first Free Church meeting was held in the
Town Hall of Kinross. At both forenoon and afternoon services "there
were overflowing audiences." The Rev. Mr Logan, of Lesmahagow,
officiated and preached from John, xx1. chap., 17 verse
"A fancy Bazaar held in the Picture Gallery of Kinross House,
for the benefit of the poorð principally got up through the
benevolent exertions of Mrs Robert Montgomery. The sum taken amounted
to about £60. Aug. 3d.
"Rev. Dr Hay's Jubilee held on August 5th, when an elegant
silver claret jug and massive salver were presented to him, and a
handsome salver to Mrs Hay. The value of these presentations cost
about £75. In the afternoon a public dinner was also given to h
im, which was largely attended by ministers and others from
"On Sabbath, September 3, a boy named Thomson, belonging to
Dunfermline, a hawker of tracts, was drowned in Lochleven, near to
the old church, while bathing.
"The foundation stone of Kinross Free Church laid Sept. 6th, in
presence of the Free Church Committee and a considerable assemblage
of the inhabitants. Mr Joseph Hardie deposited a copy of the Witness,
Perthshire, and Fife Sentinel newspaper, together wi
th the Act of Separation and other records.
"Free Church at Crook-of-Devon (New Fossoway) building.
1844. "Kinross Corn Market established 24th Jan at 12 o'clock
when the steeple bell rang, and then business commenced.
"Experiments made to preserve Lochleven trout fresh for
monthsðwith success. A can of the trout experimented on was opened
after a lapse of three months. They were found to be quite
"Mild winterðscarcely any ice. Only one day's sport enjoyed on
Lochleven during the whole season.
"The Free Church of Kinross built 17th Feb. April 2 Rev. Mr
Wright ordained minister, first ordination in Kinross for 40 years.
"Corn Market Dinnerðfirst one held in Kinross, "when friends of
the new market mustered strong." J. Henderson, Esq., Turfhills,
officiated as chairman, supported by Rev. Mr Tannoch, Messrs
Flockhart, of Annafriech; Reid, of Eastbank; Tod, West Brackly; &
c. The dinner was supplied by Mrs Lambert, East Damside Inn.
"The Prince Royal of Denmark visited Lochleven Castle on his way
to the North.
"Sir G. Montgomery of Kinross House attained his majority, when
a public dinner was partaken of in the Kirkland's Inn, in honour of
the occasion. Charles Steins Esq.of Huttonburn, Convener in the
County, officiated as chairman, and Mr Beveridge, Kinnesto
n, and Mr Williamson, Kinross, as croupiers.
"Rejoicing and fete at Kinross House, July 17th , when thousands
turned out to give a hearty welcome to G. Graham Montgomery on his
first visit to Kinross after obtaining his majority. The tenants
feuars and others, to the amount of 500, were invited to
an entertainment on the lawn, in a large pavilion in front of the
Kinross House.Triumphal arches were thrown across the street in
various parts of Kinross, and amusements provided for the people on
the grounds ðsuch as foot-ball, racing, climbing the pole
, &c. A procession was marshalled by Dr Annan to Kinross Green, when
the Hammerman and Weavers' standards were hoisted.The Kinross and
Milnathort Instrumental Bands, accompanied by tenants, feuars &c.
marched off to Goudyranet. where Sir Graham's carriage
was metðin which were himself and his brotherðwhen loud and heavy
cheering was prolonged all the way to Kinross. The entertainment
broke up about nine o'clock, after escorting Sir Graham into
Kirkland's Hotel, and giving him three cheers. At Thomanean a
long bonfire was lighted up, and whisky-toddy porter, and bread were
liberally supplied to several hundred persons, and here "the fun was
kept up to an early hourðthat is, beyond the late one, into the wee
short hours ayout twal". Some, like their forefat
hers of old, took to the heather for beds, having the blue canopy
above for their curtains!"
"An old steel dagger, fully a foot in length, with part of a
wooded handle attached, was found on August 29th, by the son of a
Kirkcaldy manufacturer, near the margin of the loch, at a point of
land nearest the Castle, on the west sideðnot far from where
the bunch of antique keys were found in 1805.
1845. "The year opens with bleak weather but mild ð little or no
strong ice on the Loch; the curlers despair of having their roaring
"Rev. William Peters ordained minister of the parish of Kinross.
Meeting of Kinross Parochial Board. The "vexed" question of the
Hayfield mortification again before the meeting.
"Fine large water-colour views of Lochleven Castle and St Serfs
Isle and Priory done by John B. Reid, artist.
Sir Graham G. Montgomery, of Kinross House had a Crown Charter
of Confirmation granted to him confirming his right to the Barony of
Kinross Lands, Castle, Lake, and fishings. Dated 5th June, 1845;
sealed, 16 Sep. 1845.
"Potato-crop" found to be a disastrous failure, not only in
Kinross district, but throughout the whole country, including
Ireland. Collections in Kinross, Milnathort, &c. in aid of the
suffering Irish in Ireland.
"Harvest plentiful, but in bad condition; turnip crop an
average. Harvest late in Kinross-shire, as in many other places.
Farmers grumbling very much."
Much political discussion in Kinross, &c., and elsewhere, in
consequence of the sudden and somewhat startling changes of the
"political barometer." Lord John Russell and Sir Robert Peel out an'
in the office, called and recalled to it within a period of
The Auld Hansel Monday festival under discussion in Kinross, &.,
but neither the festival holders in Kinross or in Milnathort can
agree as to the propriety of abolishing so "sacred a day."
1846. Kinross Horticultural Society instituted, and shortly
afterwards there was an exhibition of garden produce in the Town
Kinross Spinning Company formed, and their mill built,ðsouth end
Great storms of winds in Marchðmuch damage done to houses, trees
&c., throughout the country. Kinross-shire had not been visited by
such a continuous run of wind storms for many years.
The Exchequer made formal demand on J.W. Williamson, Esq.,
Kinross Green, for the Royal relic the signet seal found on his
property in 1829. This year (1846) Mr Williamson presented a memorial
to the Lords of the Treasury, showing his peculiar right to r
etain the relic. After some trouble, Mr W. succeeded in obtaining a
grant for it from their lordshipsremitting the right of the Crown in
his favour.ð(Vide date 1829.)
Railway mania, as in other places, at "great height and feverish
feeling" in Kinross, &c. "Railway speculations and railways to
anywhere and everywhere engrossed all the public talkno room for
"Wet autumn; much thunder; early corn well harvested; much of
the late corn injured; Kinross fiars prices rise as elsewhere.
Abolition of the Corn Laws ; grand processions in Kinross,
Milnathort, &c., in commemoration of the event. "In Kinross,
triumphal arches were thrown across the streets at several places.
Display of flags. Instrumental Band paraded the streets. Large meet
ing in the Town Hall when a great business in speechifying was done."
Meeting of the Trustees of the Great North Road in Kirkland's
"Great storm of windquite a hurricane, but of short
continuance, followed by a deluge of rain. Roofs of houses,
chimney-pots, and trees throughout the county of Kinross suffered
much from this gale.
Extraordinary flock of wild white geese, from the Bass Rock,
flying about the Island of Lochleven. Through the day journeying
westward, and returning to the Island in the afternoon. Thought to be
indicative of a severe winter.
1847. "Kinross-shire Advertiser"first number of it published,
Kinnesswood parchment manufactory. Early this year it was
discovered that for upwards of 300 years the "Old Scottish Record,"
or Chancery, had been supplied with parchment and vellum from
Kinnesswood ð Portmoak Parishðas was proved by the testimony of an
official from the Chancery Office, and corroborated by a written
document of date 1530, which was in possession of the late Mr Robert
Great darkness accompanied with thunder and rainð23rd April.
Extreme darkness lasted from 12.30 till 1 o'clock. "The lessons in
the schools, were suddenly stopped. Gas had to be lighted in the
houses and shops for half an hour."
The late Robert Low, Esq., of Fordel, Kinross-shire, by deed of
settlement bequeathed to the Edinburgh Bible Society, £200.
Vice Admiral Sir Charles Adam of Blairadam, presented by the
Queen to the Governorship of Greenwich Hospital.
Kinross Spinning Company's Mill "commenced spinning in June this
Messrs Thomson &Co.'s factory, in Swan's Acre, commenced
building in June this year.
"Great rejoicing at Blairadam. A dinner given there by
Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Adam, on the occasion of his having finished
repairs and improvements on Blairadam House, as also on account of
his having received the appointment of the Governorship of Gre
enwich Hospital. Aug. 21.
A number of the friends of Mr John Beveridge, Milnathortone of
the oldest and most respected of its residenters presented him with
his portrait, the expenses of which had been defrayed by public
"Rev. Mr Leslie, minister of the U.P. congregation, Milnathort,
was presented with his portrait as a mark of esteem and regard, 25th
Aug. Expense of which was defrayed by public subscription. On the
gilded tablet attached to the frame there is the follow
"A gold chain and this portrait were presented by the United
Presbyterian Church at Milnathort, to the Rev. Alexander Wilkie
Leslie, their pastor in testimony of high regard, and on the expiry
of the fortieth year of his ministry. Aug. 25, 1847."
The ladies, & c., of the congregation of the Parish Church,
presented their pastor, the Rev. Mr Peters, with a silk gown and
cassock, as also a handsome Family Bible. The surplus money was
expended in the purchase of a gown for the precentor.
Free Church School, Kinross, opened on 11th Oct. James Hogg,
Aurora Borealis. Splendid display of this interesting meteor on
Sunday evening, 7th November, between nine and ten o'clock.
General Morison, M.P. (county member), entertained several of
his friends and supporters to dinner in Kirkland's Hotel. On the
right and left of the General were Vice Admiral Sir Charles Adam and
the Rev.Dr Hay. J.W. Williamson, Esq., croupier, supported
by Messrs Reddie and Thomson. "Nothing could exceed the harmony of
this enjoyable meeting." Nov. 24.
"Typhus, scarlet fever, &c., very prevalent among the young at
this period in Kinross. In one of the schools half of the scholars
were absent by having been seized with either of these maladies."
The North Mail Coaches ceased to run through Kinross on Dec.
22nd. Mail by railway after this date.
"Messrs Thomson & Co.'s Weaving Factory commenced work on 31st.
1848. CarnboðA concert held in the District School hereðwell
The weatherðStrong frost set in on Jan. 7th-20th; on 25th
Lochleven nearly covered with iceðthermometer as low as 15 deg.
Greenwich time adopted in Kinross &c., as has been done
throughout the country. The suddenness of the change took many by
Kinross County Ball. This Ball, which for many years has been
accustomed to be held in this country, on every alternate year, and
occasionally oftener, took place this year in Kirkland's Hotel on
Feb. 18thðabout 100 ladies and gentlemen present.
Woollen trade in Kinross, &c., very dull; many of the weavers
County subscription for procuring work for unemployed. Admiral
Sir Charles Adam in the chair. About 400 persons in Kinross out of
employment. Several gentlemen present headed the contribution list
with sums of £25 each. April.
"The members of the second U.P. Church, Kinross, presented their
Pastor, the Rev. Mr Leishman, with an elegant purse, containing
twenty-seven sovereigns, as a small token of the high esteem and
regard which they entertained for him as their minister duri
ng the long period which he had laboured amongst them. 7th July.
Presentation to Mr Craig, teacher, Cleish, 23rd Sept. "On the
23rd inst., a very handsome Silver Tea Service, consisting of
Tea-pot, Cream-ewer, Sugar-basin and Tongs, along with a beautiful
Cake-basket were presented to Mr Craig, bearing the following i
'Presented to Mr Craig, parochial teacher of Cleish, by the
parishioners and others who have received the benefit of his
instructions, as a memorial of their high esteem for him as a
scholar, friend, and teacher. Cleish, 23rd September, 1848."
Rev. John Wright, of the Free Church Kinross, on occasion of his
removal to his new manse, the members of his congregation, &c.,
subscribed upwards of £40, and purchased for him a complete set of
handsome dining-room furniture, which was duly presented t
o him Nov, 1848.
Heavy gale of wind in Kinross, &c.,15th Dec. About 8 o'clock in
the evening of this day "it blew with fearful violence ; several
thatched houses were nearly stripped; portions of the zinc roofing of
Messrs Thomson's new factory were swept off and carried
to a distance of several hundred yards ; chimney-stalks were thrown
down, and trees uprooted. Many trees of Tullieboleð70 in one
placeðwere uprooted or broken over."
Died on 25th Dec, the Rev. A. W. Leslie, minister of the
U.P.Church Milnathort, in the 42nd year of his ministry.
John W. Williamson, Esq., presented his commission as
Sheriff-Clerk for the county of Kinross, and was duly admitted; and
at the same time was appointed Commissary Clerk.ð26th Dec.
1849. Storm and spate. The north and south Queich rose to a great
height ðso much so that the streams united at their nearest point of
convergence on the Sabbath, in consequence of the South Queich over
flowing its banks a little to the west of Burnbrae,
finding its way in the north-east direction, by the back of Mawmill,
until it joined the Stank Burn, which falls into the North
Queichðhighest spate for 33 years past.ðJan. 7.
A handsome 12-inch terrestrial globe, presented to Mr Hogg,
teacher of the Free School, Kinross, as a token of respect and
Batty's circus visited Kinross and gave a performanceðwell
attended. April 24.
"James Anderson, a boy while bird nestling on the high rocks to
the west of the Rumbling Bridge, lost his hold and fell upwards of a
hundred feet, into the Devon. When taken up life was quite
Musical Entertainment at Miln-athort.ðRoy's Musical Association
gave an entertainment in the U.P.Church Milnathort on April 15th,
which was well attended and gave general satisfaction. A selection
from the Gabious (See Muses Threnodie) of Mr Paton of Dun
fermline was shown, to the great amusement of the audience.
Died, on 20th May, at the Free Church Manse, Portmoak, the Rev.
Hugh Laird, D.D., in the 86th year of his age and 65th of his
EpidemicsðThe last few weeks have been remarkable in Kinross,
&c., for the prevalence of small-pox, scarlet fever, and measles
among the young. Very few families have been exempted from some one
of their scourges.ðJune.
Coaching,ðMr Stocks, on July 27, announced by advertisement,
that he had purchased an omnibusðthe Lochleven Castle ð constructed
to carry 10 inside passengers and 7 out; and would henceforth leave
Mr Walker's hotel, Milnathort, in the mornings at 6ho. 5
for Burntisland ðpassing through Kinross at 6ho 15. Mr Rennie
announced that his coachðthe Fair Maidðwould leave Mr James Glass's
Inn, Milnathort at 6 o'clock morning and would arrive at the
Salutation Hotel Kinross at 6ho.15 from Burntisland, and that bo
th conveyances would leave Burntisland, for the return journey, after
the arrival of the 5ho. 8 boat, in the evening from Granton.
Died, on 20th May, at the U.P. Manse, Kinross, the Rev. James
Hay, D.D., in the 80th year of his age, and the 55th of his ministry.
Kinross-shire Horticultural Society's Exhibition in the Town
"Mr Templeton gave a ministrel entertainment in the Town
Messrs Richardson visited Kinross and gave a classical concert
in the Town Hall, when their performances on rock, bell steel band,
and Swiss bells gave great satisfaction.ð Aug.
Aldie Show of Cattle held in a field near Aldie Castle, on 13th
Aug. Several prizes were awarded. After the exhibition, the judges
and a number of their friendsðnumbering about 10ðpartook of a
"farmer's dinner," viz., beef and broth, in Aldie CastleðWm.
Menzies, Esq., factor, in the chair. Messrs Cameron, Dalkeith, and
Hay, Balleave, acted as croupiers.
Games at DraughtsðJames Wylie, "the Herd Laddie," visited
Kinross and played several games with the draught hands of Kinross
and Milnathort. The Laddie showed his superiority as usual ; Thomas
Dott, of Kinross, and Lawrence Grieg, Milnathort, were nearly
his equal. ðSept.
The celebrated Madame Castaglioni gave a grand evening concert
in the Town Hall of Kinross on Monday evening, 1st Oct.
Cholera.ðNo cases of this fatal scourge occurred in Kinrossða
few in Milnathort.
Tee-total Lectures.ðMr Edward Grubb delivered a course of
lectures on teetotalism in the first United Presbyterian Church,
One of Halse's Medical Batteries, procured by a number of the
working men of Kinross, given in charge of Mr Marshall, saddler, who
has already succeeded in effecting wonderful curesðOct.
Mr Ferguson delivered a lecture on popular astronomy in the Town
Hall on Thursday evening, 27th Dec. illustrated with transparencies.
A musical concert was held in the District Schoolroom, Carnbo,
on Friday, 30th Dec. The company broke up highly gratified with the
1850. "The Kinross-shire Advertiser," which had been since its
commencement in Feb. 1847, in quarto form of 8 pages, altered, with
the commencement of this year, into a folio size of 4 pages.
Public dinner in the Town Hall, Kinross, given by the woollen
manufacturers and spinners of Kinross and Milnathort to a party of
their friends and a number of their customers in Edinburgh, Glasgow,
James Wylie, "the herd laddie," in Kinross. Several games at
draughts played. Thomas Dott got the length of several draws, and
took two of them, T. G. Shand succeeded in getting one.
Mr Begg, parochial schoolmaster of Kinross, was on Feb. 21st
presented with a gold watch, chain, &c., by a number of his former
pupils in token of their regard for him. A public supper was given to
Mr Begg on the occasion of the presentation. The followi
ng inscription is engraved on the watch-case :ð
Presented to Mr Robert Burns Begg, Parochial Schoolmaster,
Kinross, by a number of his former pupils, as a token of gratitude
for the zeal and fidelity with which he discharged the duties of
their teacher, and as a mark of respect for his private worthð2
Mr John Miller, a veteran curler, presented to the Kinross
Curling Club several M.S. papers upwards of 100 years old, ragarding
the club. The members of the Curling Club, in return for his
kindness, presented him with a pair of silver spectaclesðFeb.
Mr Anderson, parochial schoolmaster, Orwell, was entertained to
a public dinner on 20th March, on the occastion of his having
completed the 50th year of teacher of the parish.
Professor Anderson, "the great wizard of the North," gave two
entertainments in his pavilion erected in the Hayfieldpark ðcrowded
"Smuggling apparatus" seized by the revenue officer and
assistants at Turfmoor on the estate of CraigowðJuly.
Gymnastic games for trials of agility, strength, skill, &c.,
Rev. G. M. Middleton ordained minister of the first U.P
Balloon found on 6th Oct. on the farm of Wester Coldrain, made
of oiled tissue paper, 10 feet in height, 5 in diameter at great
swell, and 15 in circumference. It had been set afloat at Glasgow on
the previous day.
Jubilee Service and Presentation at Balgedie in commemoration of
the 50th year of the existence of the U.P. Church at Balgedie, and as
a mark of respect of their pastor. On the occasion a handsome silver
tea service was presented to Rev. Dr Mackelvie by
the members of the congregation, &c.; as also a silver salver from
the young, attending the Rev. Doctor's Sabbath School. The tea
service has the following inscription engraved on the most
"Presented to the Rev. William Mackelvie, D.D., by the members
of the United Presbyterian Congregation, Balgedie, as a testimonial
of their high estimate of the fidelity and zeal with which he
habitually discharges his ministerial duties amongst them. Oc
t. 16th. 1850.
And on the Salver:ð
"Presented to the Rev. William Mackelvie D.D., by the young
people attending his Sabbath School and weekday classes, as a
testimonial of their respect and gratitude for his zealous and
unreserved labours to promote their spiritual welfare. 16th Oct. 1850
Rev. D. Young ordained minister of the U.P. Church,
Two boys drowned in Lochleven within 30 yards of the shore. No
assistance at the moment could be rendered them, and when reached
shortly after the occurrence they were found lifeless.
1851. The Census ð Population of the parish of Kinross 3227;
Cleish, 659 ; Orwell, 2569; Portmoak, 1550; parts of the parishes of
Arngask, Forgandenny, and Fossoway and Tullibole, lying in the county
of Kinross, 919; total population of the county, 8924 s
A lithographic plan of "Kinross Old Churchyard" published by Mr
Flockhart of AnnafrechðAug. 1851.
General Morison, M.P. for the counties of Kinross and
Clackmannan, diedð11th May.
Mr Johnston elected M.P. for the counties of Kinross and
Carnbo and Tillochie Quoiting Club "sent a challenge for trial
of strength and sleight of hand" to their brethren of the
Auchterarder club. "The lads of the Carnbo and Tillochie club came
Cook's Equestrian Circus Company arrived in Kinross on July 25.
They erected their unique marquee in a park adjoining Kinross Glebe,
and gave two entertainmentsðattendance very limited.
Rev. Dr Duff, India Missionary, visited Milnathort on Aug 4, and
addressed a large meeting in the Free Church there.
John Young, alias the Chancellor, committed suicide in Kinross
The second U.P. Church, Kinross (Rev. Mr Leishman's) entirely
renewed in the interior; the expense defrayed by a lady of the
The sum of £40 contributed towards defraying the expense of
erecting a sepulchral monument to the memory of the late Rev. Dr
A handsome eight-day time-piece was presented to the second U.P.
Church by J. Leishman, Esq., W.S. EdinburghðOct.
"Death of a Wealthy Labourer". On the 17th October died Murdoch
Munro, Kelty Bridge, aged 74. It seems that he was a "most miserable
miser." After his death on his apartment being searched, there were
found a deposit receipt on the Bank of Scotland, Edin
burgh, for £790, £213 6s in one pound and guinea notes ; in his
chest, £34 9s in silver and 1s 01/2d in copperðin all £1037 16s
Lindsay in his "Supplement to the Coinage of Scotland," notes
"In a moss near Kinross was found (this year) a hoard of from 700 to
800 Roman Denarii. There were of Galba (one), Otho (two), Titus,
Trajan, Hadrain, Antoninus Pius, Faustina, senr; Marcus Au
relius, Faustina, junr; Commodus, and Severus, mostly poor coins; the
Galba Reverse Roma, Renase, being by far the best." (Galba was the
Roman Caesar in A.D. 68, and Severus A.D. 197.)
The same authority states that in Oct. this year, "A boy whilst
reaping in the parish of Portmoak, turned up a Roman coin with the
point of his hook; on further search upwards of 600 Roman denarii
were found all lying close together, as if they had been
enclosed in a bag, and at depth of only three or four inches from the
surface. At the same spot an iron sword, and a beautiful but
imperfect silver ornament, thought to have formed the crest of a
helmetð the series extending from Nero to Severus both incl
usiveðand it is thought to have formed the treasure of a soldier in
the Northern expedition of Sept. Severus, A.D.208. The coins are
described at full length in the proceedings of the Society of
Antiquaries of Scotland, vol. 1st p. 60.
A young man for many years in the employment of Whyte, flesher
Kinross, committed suicide by drowning himself in Bowton pond. A
large stone was found wrapped in his plaid, in order the more
effectually to accomplish his purpose ðNov.
The town Fire Engine thoroughly repaired. The Steeple Committee
appeal to proprietors and men of business for a liberal subscription
to defray the expensesðDec.
Lochleven.ðThe loch water at a very low ebb in Nov. and
Dec.ðabout 4 feet below its usual levelðmill owners &c., greatly in
want of water for their mills.
The Subscription School, Milnathort, discovered to be on fire on
Dec. 25thðthe rafters and furniture destroyed.
1852. Great Spateð"On 8th January there occurred a great spate in
Kinross, unequalled for the last 36 years. The Great North Road
immediately to the south end of the bridge was flooded to a depth of
3 feet. The street and road leading to the myre was cove
red with water to a considerable depth, and the residenters in the
locality had to move to upper apartments or garrets for safety. The
Queich diverged from its ordinary course near Heatheryford, and
forced its way through the Haugh park, and had it not be
en for the elevation of the road at the place known as "Jockstaups
Brig," it would have flooded the field of 'Blinkhuilly,' mentioned in
Sir Walter's Novel."
The house of Mr Walker, innkeeper, Milnathort, was on the night
of January 17th broken into by thieves, evidently of the
ante-temperance movement brigade, as they moved off with about £20
worth of prime whisky.
The wooden bridge over the South Queich, leading to Balleave,
was carried away during a storm of wind on Jan. 17th. It sustained
great damage by the spate of the 8th.
Great depression in the weaving trades of Kinross, Milnathort,
&c. ðð January.
Presentation. ððThe Rev. D. Campbell, minister of Fossoway, had
presented to him Feb. 9, by his Sunday Scholars, an elegant silver
snuff-box, on which the following inscription is engraved:ð
Presented by his Sabbath School Class to Rev. Duncan Campbell,
minister of Fossoway, as a small tribute of their affectionate
gratitude for his unwearied exertions to promote their spiritual
interest. 9th Feb, 1852.
Presentation ð Mr James Small, overseer of Messrs Thomson & Co's
works, Kinross, was presented with a handsome family bible, a writing
desk, and a silver chain, as a token of esteem ð March.
A public meeting of the members of "The Kinross Wheaten Bread
Society" held in the Town Hall on 9th March. Object: to secure a shop
for their bread seller. Afterwards a motion was made to dissolve the
society which was carried by a majority, but ultimate
ly it was resolved to let the matter lie over until next meeting.
The warehouse of Mr Hugh Forfar, Milnathort, broken into on 17th
March, and about 22 stones of yarn carried off value £38.
Considerable excitement in Milnathort in consequence of repeated
thefts. (On 17th Jan. and 17th March.)
Presentation ð Mr Gentle, Parochial Schoolmaster, Fossoway, was
on March 30th presented with a handsome silver snuff box, and a purse
containing upwards of 23 sovereigns, as a token of their regard for
him. (Followed by a supper.)
Gold Diggings on the Lomonds. _ Great excitement prevailed in
the early part of May, in consequence of it being reported that gold
had been found on the Lomond Hill, on the western face of the hill,
overlooking Lochleven. For days persons from all parts
of the country were seen travelling to the Lomonds. The hill was
dotted with hundreds eager to try their "prentice haun" at digging.
Tents, &c., were erected on the hill. The hill presented the
appearance, for several days, of an immense public fair being
held. The mania suddenly collapsed on it being found that the
"sparkling particles" dug out turned out on an analysis, to be
Bisulphuret of Iron." (See 1862)
Reading Room for Kinross. "A public meeting was held in the Town
Hall to consider the propriety of establishing a public reading-room
in Kinross. Resolution to establish one was carried and about £20
subscribed toward it." ð May.
The U.P. Churches of Kinross, Milnathort, Balgedie, Edenshead,
and Pathstruie, disjoined from the Presbytery with which they had
hitherto been connected, and formed into a separate presbytery under
the above title ðMay 25.
A curious dish or basin found on the banks of Lochleven, near a
place called Roy's Folly, near to where the keys of the castle were
found in 1805. It is shaped like a large bowl or water-stand basin,
is about 31/2 inches in circumference, and 11/2 deep;
the composition seems to be copper and brass, and has a singular
tinkling sound when struck. It is in excellent preservation, and the
general impression is that it is the Baptismal Font Dish of the
ancient chapel of Lochleven Castle. It is at present in t
he possession of Mr Watson, Kinross.
Constituency of Kinross taken this year found to be 574.
A meeting of the subscribers to the Kinross Reading Room was
held in the Free Church School on the evening of June 9th, to make
arrangements for having the institution open immediately. The
following newspapers and publications for the reading room were
agreed upon, viz., The Times, Illustrated London News, The Athenaeum,
Leeds Mercury, Edinburgh Evening Courant, Scotsman, Caledonian
Mercury, Glasgow Herald, Punch, Perthshire Advertiser, Fifeshire
Journal, Fife Herald, Kinross-shire Advertiser, the two A
lloa papers, the Dunfermline Journal, Chamber's Journal, Hogg's
Presentation.ðA gold watch and appendages presented to the Rev.
Mr Middleton on the evening of August 24. The following inscription
is on the case of the watch :ð
"Presentation to the Rev. George Marshall Middleton, by the
members and adherents of the First United Presbyterian Congregation
of Kinross, as a mark of their esteem and respect for him as their
pastor. August 24, 1852."
Splendid banquet in honour of W.P. Adam, Esq., younger of
Blairadam, given in Kirkland's Hotel, Kinross ð about 100 gentlemen
present ð Aug.27.
Presentation ðThe Rev. Mr Peters, minister of the parish of
Kinross, was on Oct. 20th, presented with an elegant hot water jug,
of the value of £70 on which is engraved the following inscription:ð
"Presented to the Rev. William Peters M.A., minister of the
parish of Kinross, by a grateful people, in testimony of their sense
of his faithful and efficient services as their pastor. 20th October,
Theatricals ð Mr Bryer and his talented company in
Kinrossðmoderately attended ðOctober.
The shops and places of business in Kinross, Milnathort, &c.,
closed after 2 o'clock on Thursday, 18th Nov., as a tribute of
respect to the memory of the departed warrior, His Grace the Duke of
Wellington, on this the day of his funeral in St Paul's Cath
edral, London. The steeple bell tolled at intervals between 2 and 3
Trade, &c., in Kinross very bad; a great many weavers idle, and
a cheerless winter in prospect. The woollen trade in Milnathort
reported to be in a very prosperous state.
Tailoring in Kinross for the Australian market. Mr Laing,
tailor, has from some time past been executing orders in making suits
of clothes for Australia. The demand on him has been so great that he
can scarcely keep up the supply required.
1853. Kinross Savings Bank. The amount in this bank to the credit
of the depositors reported to be £50 more than it was in Jan. 1852.
Milnathort Corn Market Dinner was held on 23rd Feb. in Mr
Walker's Inn, when 47 attended.
Jubilee Services and Presentation at Kinross, on the occasion of
the Rev. Mr Leishman entering upon the 50th year of his ministry, in
second U.P. Church, Kinross, on 22nd March, when the following as a
testimonial were presented to him:ð "A Silver tea-se
rvice ð consisting of a tea-pot, sugar basin, jug and salver, along
with a silver snuff-box, and a purse of sovereigns. On the service
and snuff-box are the following inscriptions:ð
Presented to the Rev. Robert Leishman by the attached people of
his charge, on entering the fiftieth year of his ministry, in token
of their affectionate regard for him personally, and of their sense
of their value of his service, as a faithful minister
of the Gospel of Christ. Kinross, 22nd March, 1853.
Presentation.ðThe Kinross Dyeing company, on 26th March,
presented a handsome silver snuff-box to Mr William Beveridge,
manufacturer, Kinross, on which is engraven as follows:-
Presented to Mr William Beveridge, manufacturer, Kinross, by the
Kinross Dyeing Company, in testimony of their respect for him as a
private individual and partner of the company, and for his useful and
efficient services as their treasurer. Kinross 25th
Aldie.ðHuman Skeleton Found.ð As some workmen were cutting
drains in one of the low fields on the estate of Aldie, below the
castle, they came upon the remains of a human being, the skull, part
of the teeth, and a number of the ribs, in good preservation
. When found the skeleton lay face downward, about 3 feet from the
surface. The whole of the low grounds on the south side of Aldie
estate, and along the north side of Cleish Hills, were at one time a
lake, and it has been supposed, as the skeleton was fo
und within the old margin of the lake, that he may have been
accidentally drowned in it. If this theory be correct, the skeleton
must have lain where it was found for a great many centuries.
Kinross steeple repairingðthe slating renovated and vane
Died, in May, "Katie Daw," or Catherine Dall or Christy,
bell-ringer of Kinross for 39 years, which she performed very
punctually. She was in the 73rd year of her age, and was quite a
The watch-house in the Old Church Yard repaired and finished.
Expense defrayed by public subscription and a donation from the
Local Improvements.ðNew houses erecting, more especially by Mr
Brough, draper, fronting head of Graham Street. In Mill Street, a
handsome building is in course of erection by Mr Beveridge, baker